Business Process Re-engineering is a dramatic change initiative that contains five major steps. Managers should: Refocus company values on customer needs. Redesign core processes, often using information technology to enable improvements.
Seven reengineering principles to streamline the work process and thereby achieve significant levels of improvement in quality, time management, speed and profitability:
1. Organize around outcomes, not tasks.
2. Identify all the processes in an organization and prioritize them in order of redesign urgency.
3. Integrate information processing work into the real work that produces the information.
4. Treat geographically dispersed resources as though they were centralized.
5. Link parallel activities in the workflow instead of just integrating their results.
6. Put the decision point where the work is performed, and build control into the process.
7. Capture information once and at the source.